07 Feb Is Your Home Hurricane Ready?
Posted at 14:42h in Our Inspections
Hurricane season here in Florida is from June to November. It is important to make sure that your home will protect you, or in the event of an evacuation that your home will still be standing when you return. While it is impossible to know how severe a storm will be and what kind of damage it might cause, there are precautions you can take to make your home hurricane ready in Sarasota.
Is your home hurricane ready?
- Roof inspection: Damage to your roof during a hurricane is usually caused by leaks or loose shingles. This can cause leaking into your home, or more catastrophic damage if the roof rips apart during a storm. A roof inspection will point out any potential problems.
- Hurricane straps: New homes in Florida, especially those near the coast, are required to be built with hurricane straps. These provide extra security for the roof as they can withstand over 100 mph winds. They can be retrofitted to roofs in older houses.
- Windows and doors: You may have heard that putting duct tape on your windows will stop them from shattering, but this is false and does not protect against high winds. The safest way to protect yourself from flying glass is to install high impact windows, which can withstand 150 mile per hour winds. Make sure doors are secure with no missing or loose screws or bolts. Replace exterior doors and garage doors with high impact products. Replacing all of the windows and not the garage door will not help at all in a storm, as the garage is the largest opening in your home and once compromised your high impact windows will not mean much.
- Wind mitigation inspection: This type of inspection looks at how prepared your home is to withstand high winds. It can provide you discounts on your homeowners’ insurance, as well as peace of mind.
- Review your insurance policy: Look at what your insurance covers and will not cover. Contact your agent today to find out if you would benefit from a Wind Mitigation Inspection.
La Maison builds custom homes, so we know what to look for when inspecting your home. We offer general and specific home inspections in Sarasota and Manatee counties whether you are getting prepared for hurricane season or buying or selling a home. Contact us today to schedule your home inspection in Sarasota!